About the M-Drop
The M‑Drop is an excellent tool for continued prevention of waterborne disease and illness at the household level. Use it to...
- Disinfect the household’s daily water supply.
- Address residual contamination left behind by other treatments.
- Protect stored water from contamination.
How the M-Drop Works
Science in Action
The M‑Drop releases silver ions into water at a precise, consistent concentration. Silver ions are highly effective at eliminating waterborne pathogens and disease. Our proprietary process creates millions of tiny silver clusters attached to the ceramic. Ions released from the clusters disinfect the water, and are completely safe for human consumption. The M-Drop works consistently for at least 200 days!
How to Use the M-Drop
Simple steps to continuous safe water and better health.
"It's the best product because it's easier to use than any other disinfection products."
– Anne Chipeta, Zambia
Where in the World is MadiDrop?
M-Drops are currently being used in 40 countries, providing 35,000 people with 14 million liters of safe water!
Want more details?
MadiDrop PBC believes in 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
An Expanded Understanding
Longer Time = Better Disinfection
The M‑Drop release silver ions at a steady rate over time, so the longer it’s in the water, the higher the concentration of silver ions and the better it disinfects. Here are some guidelines to follow to effectively use an M‑Drop to prevent waterborne disease and illness:
- If your water supply only needs protection against contamination then the M‑Drop will start working within a couple of hours of placing in a water container. It’s a highly effective solution for safe water storage. By leaving it in a water container, it will keep the water safe from contamination for weeks.
- If you only need to eliminate low levels of contamination, because your water is pre-filtered or comes from a relatively clean source, then the M‑Drop will effectively remove any residual or low-levels of contamination within 10 hours or overnight.
- However, if your water comes from an unprotected source like a river, lake, shallow or unprotected well, you can assume a moderate to high-level contamination. In this case, we recommend leaving the M‑Drop in this water for at least 24 hours to kill all the pathogens.
1 M‑Drop Per 10 liters of Water
Each M‑Drop is optimized to treat 10 liters of water per day, however a single M‑Drop will work in any volume of water up to 20 liters. The larger the volume of water, the longer it takes the M‑Drop to disinfect the water. Here are some guidelines to follow to effectively use an M‑Drop in different volumes of water:
- An M‑Drop will disinfect as little as 2 liters of water within 4 to 6 hours, depending on level of contamination.
- For 10 liters of water, we recommend at least 10 hours for low levels of contamination, and 24 hours for moderate to high levels of contamination.
- In 20 liters of water, the M‑Drop will take longer, but still works equally as well. If the water is clean (free of contamination), it will keep the water safe and free of contamination for weeks. If the water is not clean (contains pathogens), you may need to wait 48 to 72 hours before consuming the water.
Leave the M-Drop in the Container
The M‑Drop is designed to be left in a designated drinking water container and not removed or touched. By doing this, the M‑Drop provides ongoing protection from waterborne pathogens by building up a barrier of silver ions in the water container. This helps increase the effectiveness of the M‑Drop and protect people against waterborne disease and illness.
A True Safe Water Storage Solution!
Unlike other methods, such as chemical treatments which require regular retreating, an M‑Drop simply needs to be placed and remain in a water storage container to keep it free of pathogens and harmful organisms.
Other Important Guidelines About Using the M‑Drop
- The M‑Drop does NOT stop working after six months! The silver ions released by the M‑Drop may begin to slow or reduce after six months, resulting in the need to be left in the water for a longer time to work effectively. Testing has shown silver ion levels do not begin to slow down for at least six months, and when the release of silver ions do begin to slow down, they gradually do so over an additional 6 to 12 months.
- The M‑Drop, which is porous clay, does not dissolve in water. However, it may change in color once it is in use, which is normal.
- Do NOT use the M‑Drop with Chlorine! The silver in the M‑Drop reacts with chlorine and changes the color of the water. This should not affect disinfection, but the water is unsightly and may have an unpleasant taste.
- To discard a M‑Drop, simply throw away into the trash, or break it into pieces and disperse them on the ground. The M‑Drop is made of all natural materials (clay and silver) and will not harm the environment.
The M-Drop is all-natural. It is made of clay and releases only silver ions – both are naturally-occurring. There are no added chemicals. Silver has been used for centuries in drinking containers and eating utensils, to combat infection and to control the spoilage of food and water. Today, silver is used in many contemporary applications such as medical devices, dental materials and burn treatments. Scientists have verified its antimicrobial properties for many viral, bacterial and protozoan microorganisms.
Silver is not toxic to humans. Scientific studies have shown it does not cause cancer or other chronic adverse health effects.
Even though they can’t be seen, the M-Drop is slowly releasing silver ions. Although the water won’t change in appearance, the M-Drop is working if it is used as directed. It needs to be in contact with the water for between 10 - 24 hours, depending on the level of contamination, and placed in a designated container with a lid and spigot for drinking water.
Testing verifies the M-Drop is effective for at least 200 days and continues to neutralize pathogens as long as it is used as directed.
The M-Drop does NOT stop working after six months. Testing has shown silver ion levels do not begin to slow down for at least six months, and gradually do so over an additional 6 to 12 months.
Prescribed use suggests changing the M-Drop every six months. Use the enclosed sticker to identify the month when the M-Drop is first used or simply mark the date on the water container.
The M-Drop releases silver ions at a steady rate over time, so the longer it is in the water, the higher the concentration of silver ions and the better it disinfects. Here are some guidelines to follow to effectively use an M-Drop to prevent waterborne disease and illness:
• If your water supply only needs protection against contamination, then the M-Drop will start working within a few hours of placing it in a water container. It is a highly effective solution for safe water storage. By leaving it in a water container, it will keep the water safe from contamination for weeks.
• If you only need to eliminate low levels of contamination, because your water is pre-filtered or comes from a relatively clean source (clear water), then the M-Drop will effectively remove any residual or low-levels of contamination in 10 hours.
• However, if your water comes from an unprotected source like a river, lake, shallow or unprotected well (dirty water), you will need to eliminate moderate to high-level contamination. In this case, we recommend leaving the M-Drop in the water for at least 24 hours to kill all the pathogens.
Each M-Drop is optimized to treat 10 liters of water per day. However, a single M-Drop will work in any volume of water up to 20 liters. The larger the volume of water, the longer it takes the M-Drop to disinfect the water. Here are some guidelines to follow to effectively use an M-Drop in different volumes of water:
• An M-Drop will disinfect as little as 2 liters of water within 4 to 6 hours, depending on level of contamination (clear water).
• For 10 liters of water, we recommend at least 10 hours for low levels of contamination, and 24 hours for moderate to high levels of contamination (dirty water).
• In 20 liters of water, the M-Drop will take longer, but still works as well. If the water is clean (free of contamination), it will keep the water safe and free of contamination for weeks. If the water is not clean (contains pathogens), you may need to wait 48 to 72 hours before consuming the water.
Yes, most experts agree, on average, a family of five people (adults and children) will consume around 10 liters of water per day. This is for drinking water only. It does not include water for cooking, bathing or cleaning.
The M-Drop is designed to remain in a designated drinking water container and not be removed. By leaving it untouched, the M-Drop provides ongoing protection from waterborne pathogens.
It is appropriate to periodically clean the container to remove accumulated sediment. Remove and rinse the M-Drop, rinse the container, place the M-Drop back in the container and refill.
Handle the M-Drop as infrequently as possible since the oil on fingers can clog its pores.
Turbidity, such as dissolved solids or dirt, has little impact on the performance of the M-Drop. However, to improve the taste and quality of the water, it should first be filtered using one of many accepted techniques for removing sediment and dirt.
The M-Drop is designed to address biological contaminants only, much like chlorine but without the chemical taste and smell. Chemical-based products that use flocculants to remove turbidity still need to be filtered after treatment and before consumption.
It is important to note that filtration alone, even if it removes biological contaminants, does not protect against secondary contamination. The M-Drop provides this secondary protection.
Most disinfection technologies do not address lead or arsenic contamination or high levels of saline. The M-Drop was developed specifically to address biological pathogens such as E.coli and total coliform bacteria. The M-Drop makes water safer to drink by removing the major causes of diarrheal diseases and other waterborne illnesses.
Chlorination is one of the most popular methods for treating contaminated water. It has a low cost per volume and is effective against a number of bacterial and viral pathogens. However, it also adds a distinctive taste and smell to the treated water. Studies have repeatedly shown low social acceptance of chlorine and significant challenges associated with correct and continued use to control contamination. The formation of carcinogenic by-products from chlorine-based products is well documented in the scientific community.
M-Drops do not change the taste or smell of the water. There is no evidence that silver ions form any dangerous by-products.
We recommend that M-Drops and chlorine not be used together. Their interaction may cause the water to turn a dark color that will not be pleasing in appearance, taste or smell.
Yes, at this time, M-Drops are only being manufactured in the United States. As the sale and distribution of M-Drops develop in regional and local markets, we will assess the potential of localizing manufacturing to both lower the cost of the M-Drop and create jobs. Once sales volumes are large enough to cover the capital costs of setting up a local manufacturing facility, all options, including sub-licensing and outsourcing, will be considered and assessed.
MadiDrop PBC is actively recruiting distributors, resellers and social entrepreneurs to establish sales and distribution channels in all countries. If you have the means to purchase and distribute or resell M-Drops in your country, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From cities to peri-urban to rural communities in developing economy countries, the M-Drop is the answer to making water safe and keeping families healthy. In addition to individual households, M-Drops are being used in schools, orphanages and clinics to elevate health on a broad community basis. M-Drops have been sold to local distributors, faith-based organizations, service clubs, humanitarian and relief groups, and government agencies all over the world. In just one year, the M-Drop has provided 35,000 people with over 14 million liters of safe water.
PBC stands for ‘Public Benefit Company’. This is a special way to structure, or incorporate, a business. It means that we are as committed to having a positive social impact as we are to progressive business principles.
PBC stands for ‘Public Benefit Company’. This is a special way to structure, or incorporate, a business. It means we are as committed to having a positive social impact as we are to progressive business principles.
We've also achieved Certified B Corp status. That means we've joined an elite group of companies worldwide using business as a force for good.
B Corps inspire all businesses to be the best for the world. They choose to meet higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability while achieving positive outcomes for all stakeholders. For us at MadiDrop PBC, our B Corp status serves as our moral compass, ensuring every decision we make supports healthy families and their quality of life.